Check out this 5 Part Series of Home Staging Tips written for the National Post by PRES®.
Part 3 – Five Quick Tips to Sell Your Home
If you have decided to put your home on the market with little time to spare, here’s what you need to do.
1. Find a reputable realtor who has successfully sold similar homes in your neighbourhood. If you are selling the property yourself make sure you have a good marketing plan that gets potential buyers into your home. Putting photos up on the internet is only one of the things that needs to be done.
2. Hire a home stager, who should start you off with a written Recommendation Report so you can focus on priority tasks. A home stager can show you how to save time, money and energy in your preparation. If you want to do this yourself, check out the eBook DIY Getting Ready for an Open House in 10 Easy Steps.
3. Focus on getting your most important rooms looking clutter-free and inviting.Bathrooms and kitchens need to be spotless and sparse. Make sure the function of each room is obvious and appropriate. If you’ve been using your dining room as an office, it must go back to looking like a dining room — which means a proper dining table, chairs, art and accessories.
4. As the majority of people like to move into a home that doesn’t need a lot of work,focus on these key areas:neutral paint colour, new flooring, updated light fixtures and updated window coverings. You need to de-clutter, de-personalize and start packing. Just doing these things will make your home look more spacious and inviting.
5. Once your home is staged, you will be living more minimally than usual. If you stay focused on the result you want – a quick and handsome sale of your home, living with less won’t be a hardship.Your home must look immaculate for every single showing. Be prepared at all times for an unscheduled showing that just might bring the buyer you have been waiting for.
Emotions are a part of every home sale.Some people will feel great, while others may not. Regardless of the emotions, you must be objective and focused on the result you want. The more detached you are to your home, the faster the property will sell. Keep this in mind.