As a business owner you will be introducing yourself to other people on a regular basis. You need to have a quick 30 second infomercial ready about yourself when you meet someone for the first time. This is also known as your ‘elevator speech’. You will use this most often when you are networking and you have heard me say this a million times “Networking is one of your 3 ‘Must Do’ marketing strategies if you really want to grow your business”.
Here are a few key Networking Tips:
- The way to make the most of attending a networking event is to come well prepared. Most networking events expect at the least, that you will introduce yourself through your ‘elevator speech’ and give others your business card. If you are a member of a networking group you may also be able to create a table display which gives you more visibility.
- Before I go to any networking event I always like to set my intention so I know what results I expect to ‘get and give’ at a particular event. Networking does take work and it takes time. You need to attend often and follow up with people you meet. People need to KNOW YOU, LIKE YOU & TRUST YOU before they will buy from you. And they can’t do this from just one quick introduction!
- To make the most of your time, it is best to have your website up and running even if it is not 100% completed. Most networkers will go directly to your website to learn more about you. Just like home staging you only get 1 chance to make a great first impression – so make the most of it!
- Typically you have anywhere from a few seconds to give your elevator speech to several minutes. You might use it quite literally when you are in an elevator and someone asks you what you do. In some more structured groups like BNIs (Business Networking International) you may have 60 seconds to talk about yourself and let the other members know what type of ideal client/referral you are looking for.
- If you are new to the world of networking and nervous, there is nothing that says you can’t type it up and have it on a piece of paper to read from. Or try writing just your few key points on index cards or in your phone to refer to if you need to. Most experienced networkers realize that we all started just like you! Go with a friend if you are really nervous or join a Toastmaster’s group to gain your confidence.
If you follow this simple proven 7 Steps to Creating Your FANTASTIC Elevator Speech Formula you can adjust it like an accordion. Write up 2 versions so that you have your ‘short version’ and your ‘expanded version’.
I’ll share mine with you here as if I was introducing myself as a Home Staging Expert and Instructor to a networking group. Script it so it is fairly conversational.
- Longer Version Elevator Speech
- Your NAME & Your BUSINESS NAME – Hello my name is Dana Smithers. I am a Home Staging Expert, founder and instructor of the PRES Staging Training programs.
- Who your IDEAL CLIENTS are – I teach and coach aspiring home stagers how to become successful and confident business owners.
- What your ideal clients STRUGGLE with – Many students are new entrepreneurs and have no idea even where to start to build their business. They struggle with lack of confidence in getting clients and with charging what they are really worth.
- What OUTCOMES you can help your clients with – I give them the tools and knowledge they need to create their marketing materials to attract their ideal clients. With coaching they gain their confidence and understand the value of their services.
- What MAKES YOU DIFFERENT (your USP) – In the 5 day PRES staging course students gain in-depth business knowledge and actually go into real clients’ homes to apply what they learned in the classroom. Ours is the only course that is taught in one of the most successful staging rental companies so students get firsthand experience working with vacant homes. Because of the classroom training and practicum they gain their confidence quickly and they know what they need to do next!
- What is your CALL TO ACTION – If you would like to know more, I am offering $200 off for my next course but only until … (put a date in here) and if you know of anyone I offer a $100 referral fee. Class sizes are limited so act NOW!
- Use a MEMORABLE TAG LINE – We do more than just transform homes; we turn your passion into profit!
- Shorter Version Elevator SpeechI’m Dana Smithers a Home Staging Expert and Instructor of the PRES Home Staging Training programs. I teach and coach aspiring home stagers how to become successful and confident home staging business owners.
As new entrepreneurs my students can struggle with lack of basic business knowledge and confidence. Our 5 day course provides them with both practical business knowledge and hands-on training in real client’s homes.
Contact us before …(put the date here) you can save $200 on the next course. We don’t just transform homes; we turn your passion into profit!